The procedure takes several minutes. There is little blood involved. Afterward, the girl’s genital area is swabbed with the antiseptic Betadine. She is then helped back into her underwear and returned to a waiting area, where she’s given a small, celebratory gift — some fruit or a donated piece of clothing — and offered a cup of milk for refreshment. She has now joined a quiet majority in Indonesia, where, according to a 2003 study by the Population Council, an international research group, 96 percent of families surveyed reported that their daughters had undergone some form of circumcision by the time they reached 14….
According to Lukman Hakim, [Assalaam Foundation’s] chairman of social services, there are three “benefits” to circumcising girls.
“One, it will stabilize her libido,” he said through an interpreter. “Two, it will make a woman look more beautiful in the eyes of her husband. And three, it will balance her psychology.”
- The Math: Tire Pressure vs. Drilling
- Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! John McCain as Jan Brady
- Anthrax may have came from the same government lab that falsely blamed Iraq
- Song of the Week – “Paper Planes” by M.I.A.
- Crimes and Misdemeanors: A Slate Guide to the Bush White House
- Obama Quest
- My Birthday Cake
- The Wire: The Greatest Television
- Genius: The New Yorker Obama Cover
- Aerobic Exercise Grows Brain Cells, Increases Brain Mass
- “Why I’m Opposed to the War in [Insert Nation Here]“
- “Your dreams do not have to come at the expense of my dreams…”
- Blue Mass Group
- Crooks & Liars
- Evangelicals encourage abandonment, torture and murder of “child witches”
- How is our government treating our troops?
- Moyers Discusses the Myth of Black Emancipation [w/video]
- No, really – Haitians are eating dirt. Fucking dirt?!?!?!?
- Soul Sides
- Traditional marriage? Rape, abuse, traded as property, women as mental defectives, polygamy…